Wednesday, June 19, 2019

5 May - Victoria to Nanaimo - Day 1 of TCE


Unlike most of the previous days I have been in Canada, this day dawned bright and was full of sunshine. Possibly, the blessings from above for safe and pleasant travels. The day of the beginning of the Trans Canada Expedition (TCE) had arrived. Most importantly, it was the birthday of my mother, who had left her husband and children for her heavenly abode in January 2001. A mother has a special place in the heart and mind of children. Lessons learnt at the mother’s knees are seldom forgotten. I still remember Ammachi with a lot of love, respect and admiration. May her soul rest in peace.
Breakfast at the Inn begins at 8 am, but by the time I was ready after completing blogs and other documentation it was past 9 am. The schedule was to leave the Zero Mile Monument at 10 am and I was in time for that. The Continental breakfast consisted of cereals, cold cuts, cheese, rye bread, coffee, cinnamon and walnut bun, fruits, juices and yogurt. Save the yogurt, everything else found their places within the stomach in quick time.


Once breakfast was done I spent some time with Linda and Jeff to let them know how much I had enjoyed the stay in their excellent Inn. The décor is so tasteful and so are the art works. Their warmth and care was the highlight though. Jeff told me of the many parts that Linda is. Not only is she an artist with glass but had jewelery and clothes lines, was in TV shows, had done theatre, is an awesome painter and a great cook. Linda had owned the house for over two decades where she ran a rooming house prior to opening a bed and breakfast (B&B) centre five years ago. She operates it as such between May and August every year and travels for the rest of the year. A fun life to live, surely. She used to sell her glass works near the Bay area in the past but has given up glass blowing for now. The paintings are quite something to admire and yearn for. It is difficult to understand how one can excel in so many fields, all at the same time. It has been my good fortune to meet and know Linda and Jeff on my travels. I went around the living and dining room areas yet again, where some of Linda’s art works were on display, before setting for to the start point of the TCE.
The Zero Mile Monument is less than 5 km from the Inn and I reached there without any hassle as I had recceed the place the previous day and, being a Sunday, the place was quiet and free of tourists when I reached there a little ahead of 10 am. A sole tourist was trying to get a selfie with the monument when I asked him if I could help him. After I was done with his pictures he offered to get a few done for me. And that signaled the start of the TCE.
I drove cautiously all the way up to Nanaimo. I didn’t have to hurry for I had to do just 120 km for the night halt. I had to make sure that I get used to the road rules, traffic discipline and the left hand drive car. One of the things I like in this country is that most signals are pre-warned on the highway. Thus, you learn to look out for the pre-warning. Secondly, there are speed radars at intermittent locations to make the driver aware of the vehicle speed. Applicable speeds are also on prominent display. Direction are signposted exceptionally well and the road conditions are very good. En route I stopped at a few lookout points in the Cowichan region for views of rivers and islands. There were warning boards at many places to be cautious while driving the Malahat range, the summit of which is nearly 1200 feet. Later in the day I came to know that there had been an accident on that stretch of road that closed the highway for more than 2 hours. I had escaped that, but caution and safety are key. The Chevy Impala continued its merry ways of guzzling gas. I stopped at a Shell outlet for fueling and pushed in 50 liters at nearly 157 cents per liter. In Vancouver the fuel price was 173 cents! Even though I found it steep as compared to Australia, I consoled myself that I was using decidedly cleaner fuel at Indian prices!
I reached the Departure Bay Motel a half hour after noon and met Mary Ann and her husband who ran the Motel. They were expecting me thanks to booking.com. After I had comfortably lodged my belongings in the room I went to them for attestation in the log sheet. While that was going on they told me that the previous owner had been Chinese and they owned it for the last two years only. The proximity to the ferry terminal, which was just a couple of minutes’ drive away, and a deal with a nearby hospice kept them busy all through the year. The Motel offered breakfast, but not on Mondays and Tuesdays. The reason for it I did not ask. The Motel was neat and tidy and had ample parking for those who rented it.
A saveonfoods shop was within a five minute walk from the Motel. I walked around the large grocery store and picked up a few items that would serve me well for the next couple of days. Once I had had lunch of macaroni and cheese, one of the things I had just bought, it was time to attend to the laundry. 50 cents each for washing and drying and all my clothes were done. On this trip I had deliberately packed lesser clothes for I intended to launder them as often as I could and I had to carry more warm clothing than on the previous expeditions.
The Sun was still bright and sunny at 6 pm. I decided to go to the marina and explore the area for that looked a nice place for an evening visit from the Motel window. It turned out to be just the right decision. I walked around the marina and to the Nanaimo harbour leisurely to take in the clean and healthy surroundings and enjoy the cool evening breeze. The two are connected by a scenic five km walkway. The marina was almost full. People could be seen sitting on benches, donated by kind members of society in honour of their dear departed. It was so poignant to see an elderly couple sitting on a bench facing the Bay, possibly reminiscing their wonderful life. Another astonishing sight were walls along the Bay full of memorial plaques etched in terracotta. There were so many of them and seemed to be the initiative of Lions International, who also had a pavilion within the Maffeo Sutton Park in the harbour. During the walk I came across a small fishing jetty, the Swy-a-Lana (Swy-a-Lana is said to have been the eldest son of the first inhabitant of Nanaimo) fishing pier, where people were engaged in crab ‘grab’. A lady proudly displayed one she had just then pouched. An Asian family had been trying for some time without much luck, with a large cage and a juicy bait, to get something for supper perhaps! I asked around if there were seals in the place. Just then one popped its head a bit above the water, as if answering a call, dived and went out of sight.


The evening had been well spent and I returned to the room by a half past 8 and it was still bright. Dinner consisted of mushroom soup and fresh salad. Of course, Becks beer and Doritos preceded dinner. Before turning in for the night I packed and made sure that I would have very little to do in the morning before departing to the ferry terminal at 7 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 7 - Taipei to Mumbai via Hong Kong – 30 March 2024

Keeping in mind that the Easter weekend could see massive footfalls at the airport I checked out of the hotel by 6 am, foregoing the paid-fo...