Tuesday, June 25, 2019

28 May - Bathurst to Levis - Day 24 of TCE


I have been using the services of booking.com for the past many years for reserving accommodation in advance during the expeditions and travels outside of India. I have seldom gone wrong with it and I have been able to pick up the type of accommodation I have waned, sometimes with parking, sometimes with breakfast, sometimes with specific type of view, sometimes apartment and the choices go on. Initially I was hesitant to use the site as I was not sure what to expect at the facility after seeing something online and having paid for it. Most of the time I found congruence. This day I had two experiences at two ends of the spectrum.

The Gite l'Etiole du Havre B&B in Bathurst blew my mind. The hosts had taken care of everything that a guest would want. This was most evident in the breakfast that was put on the table. Jean had been a Chef for three restaurants in France before he and his lovely wife Joille migrated to Bathurst to give their daughter a better chance in life. A large piece of quiche with fruits yogurt and a chocolate brioche presented only in the manner in which Jean could was nourishment for the eyes and the stomach. Their comfortable homestay has a part if the woods attached. Jean told me of the bear that would come from the woods to feast on his garbage - his woods was the bear's bed and the garbage it's breakfast. Jean thoughtfully packed me a few chocolate cakes for the long trip ahead today. They didn't last very long into the trip.

On the way to Levis I took to the country side a bit to experience something different from the highway. Small village conglomerations and neat farms were the major landscape. The method of farming seemed very different from what we have in India. The seeds are transplanted in the soil after its preparation by rolling large carpets much like laying lawns and landscaped gardens. During the course of the drive when I crossed the border from New Brunswick to Quebec I gained an hour because of the time zone.

I reached Levis by 1.30 pm and drove straight to Gite Kezako, which had glorious views of the St. Lawrence River and came highly recommended by booking.com. After knocking the door and ringing the bell a few time I realised that the notice hung on the door saying that check in would be only between 1600 and 1800 hours is sacrosanct. Therefore, I took the two hours I had to go to some of the attractions nearby and returned at 4 pm. The position was pretty much the same and I called the number given in the notice on the door. Everything was said in French and there wasn’t an option to get in a word in English. I was in anguish till a lady who had rented a part of the premises called the landlady. She was informed that I did not have a booking for the day, but she could accommodate me the next two days! I was left high and dry without any place to stay in Levis. Fortunately, booking.com came to my rescue with an accommodation away from the attractions, but affordable. Later the landlady messaged me saying that since I had not confirmed the early check in I had asked for she took it for granted that I was no longer interested in the reservation! Ridiculous to say the least for neither the property nor booking.com informed me of the cancellation. And, I had not sought the cancellation. I will be bringing this to the attention of the service provider to initiate corrective action. The saving grace was that the Hotel Motel Hospitalite turned out to be a comfortable place to lodge the night. 

Before leaving for Levis I had marked out a few places to visit in the few hours I had there. Prominent among them was the Fontaine du Quai Paquet, which I had read had 160 jets shooting water 9 metres up with 170 lights focussed on them in 2400 sqaure metres of open space on  the waterfront facing Quebec old city. The more I read about it the more I wanted to visit the place. I was happy to know that it was just a short distance away from Gite Kezako. I drove there and found free parking for a couple of hours. The fountains were silent and I found a young man going around attending to some of the fixtures on the ground. After a while I went up and asked him when the fountains would start. He responded that it was a few weeks away from reopening after the winter closure! I was devastated. It was too much to take immediately after the episode with Gite Kezako. The public place is a place to relax with plenty of seating, landscaped garden and some awesome sights of the lovely city across the river. I sat there locating some of the landmarks I had been to when I walked around in the walled city and old Quebec just ten days ago. There is a large ferry terminal adjacent to the public park from where visitors and commuters hop over to Quebec City. Many tourists stay in Levis and take the ferry for sightseeing on the other side of the water. Accommodation is cheaper in Levis. The weather had become very different in the ten day, too. It was bright and sunny this time around as against the drenching I took on the last visit.


After a while I took a staircase from lower to upper Levis. The wooden staircase with its handrails painted red is steep along the face of a cliff and has more than 150 steps. I found people of all ages using the staircase for keeping fit. I was nearly on my last legs when I reached the top of the staircase which gave me access to the Terrace de Levis. From that vantage height I got stunning views of the waterfront, the lower level of Levis itself and the majestic Chateau Frontenac, Parliament Hill and many other landmarks across the River. The steep climb that nearly exhausted me presented me with the most amazing panorama – I guess, it is much the same with life; the more one struggles the greater the enjoyment. 


From the waterfront I had seen a majestic building towering over the cliff. Now that I was on the upper level I walked to that building, which looked like a large church to me. When I reached there I discovered that it was a very big school, the Ecole Marcelle Mallet private secondary school. Marcelle Mallet had been a nun who dedicated her life to society and the convent she established now houses a school developing the leaders for tomorrow’s Canada.


A few blocks away is the striking Notre Dame church that was founded in the middle of the 19th century and moulded public life and times of that part of the world. Important among them was the part it played in making a success of the idea of Alfonso Desjardines, who started the iconic microfinancing company in 1900. The Caisse populaire de Levis was a means to take financing for genuine business needs to the rural areas of Levis. The Trust was formed with a subscription of C$ 5 per member and it remains so even today. From a sceptical few the membership has grown to several millions and the guide at the Maison Alphonse-Desjardines told me that he had received his annual contribution of C$ 125 just the other day. It largely serves the French Canadian population in Quebec and other French speaking towns and some in America. A wonderful cooperative movement that saw the development of a large group of entrepreneurs and businesses due to the availability of finance that was not usurious. Pierre, the knowledgeable guide at the mansion took me through the entire life of the great Alphonse Desjardines and the institution he established while taking a tour of the lovely mansion.


Once I was safely lodged in the Motel I drove to experience the Quebec Bridge, which is a unique cantilever structure, the second largest such construction in the world. The bridge has vehicular traffic, railway tracks and even a pedestrian walkway. The bridge was commissioned in 1919 after two disasters that cost plenty of money and 88 lives. The drive through as an exhilarating experience. I fondly hoped that the much recommended Quebec aquarium would be open, but it wasn’t and I returned to Fontaine du Quai Paquet hoping to see a colourful crowd there as the weather was good. I certainly miscalculated. There had been more people around walking their pets, fishing, sunbathing or just strutting around. It was almost deserted. I spied an ice cream shop in a distance and walked there for a ‘fix’. It happened to be the same boutique ice cream outlet ‘chocolat’ I had sampled in the walled city ten days ago. this time it was a small portion of mango sorbet. I slowly savoured the taste enjoying the views of the Chateau Frontenac and the River. Later I drove to the Motel for yet another noodle dinner after a can of ‘Chasing Sun Neipa” beer I had picked up from the Port Rexton Brewing Company retail outlet a few days back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 7 - Taipei to Mumbai via Hong Kong – 30 March 2024

Keeping in mind that the Easter weekend could see massive footfalls at the airport I checked out of the hotel by 6 am, foregoing the paid-fo...