Monday, June 24, 2019

20 May - Moncton to Charlottetown-Wood Islands-Caribou Island-North Sydney Ferry - Day 16 of TCE


It turned out to be a very long and rainy day. When I came out of the homestay to keep my things in the car I realised that it had rained possibly through the night. It still was raining and the grey skies did not bode anything positive on the weather for the rest of the day. I feasted on two types of cereals and left the homestay, which had been comfortable. It was a big basement room, well furnished and maintained. The only problem were the steps I had to take to the basement. The owner of the homestay, a Chinese guy who looked like he stayed alone in the large house, seemed a shy kind of person, who was not very open to a prolonged conversation. Anyway, the stay had been alright and I was ready to move to the last few provinces of Canada.

Prince Edward Island (PEI) was not on the initial itinerary because I didn't know that the charming province could be reached by the awesome Confederation Bridge. My Aunt in Vancouver prodded me to change the itinerary and I am eternally grateful to her for that. I reached the take-off to the bridge after about 90 km of driving. As I was nearing the approach of the bridge there was a sign board that said that I would have to pay a toll of nearly C$50. I waited for the toll booth to arrive, but I saw nothing that resembled one. I relaxed behind the wheel to enjoy what I could of the bridge in the driving rain and mist.

The Confederation Bridge is the longest bridge in the world over frozen waters. The Northumberland Strait freezes in winter and was the main reason for the 13 km, 62 span bridge to be built by 1997 in four years after many decades of indecision. The 1.5 million vehicles that annually across the bridge every year has justified the humongous investment. It costs C$47.75 for a two axle vehicle in toll for a crossing. I considered my money wasted as the rains played spoilsport and didn't give me an opportunity to enjoy the sights from the bridge.

As I neared the end of the bridge I saw a lighthouse to my right and decided to take a detour to take a few pictures. The severe winds made mincemeat of the umbrella and the rain drenched me inside out. I got almost blown over by the stormy winds and I could only get a few photographs done as I feared for the mobile and my stability. The location where I was was the Maritime/Rail Historical Park which is located in the erstwhile ferry terminal operated by Marine Atlantic. In a few minutes my hands had gone numb and I had to run back to the car to avoid any further damage to self and mobile.

I surmised that I would have to make the toll payment at the end of the bridge. I did not come across any till I reached the charming city of Charlottetown, the capital of PEI. The historic city was named after the Queen consort of King George III and was the host in 1864 of the hosted the Charlottetown Conference. Following this meeting was born the Canadian Confederation and motto of the came to be “Birthplace of Confederation”.

It was still raining when I reached the waterfront of the city. The Peakes Wharf Historical Site is where the fathers of the Confederation landed in 1864 for the Charlottetown Conference. The waterfront is a happening place in the city. I rushed to admire a Love Lock installation that had numerous locks on it signifying the large number of lovers who had sworn eternal love to each other at the installation. It may be interesting to know how many of those are still love locked! A public piano has been placed on the waterfront too for those who wished to try their hand at it.

My next halt was the St. Dunstan's Basilica, which is an ornate building and its chapels and sanctum sanctorum are extremely attractive. The 1916 building is now a National Historic Site of Canada. After spending a few minutes in prayer I drove a bit over 50 km to the Wood Islands Ferry operated by NFL to take a ferry to Nova Scotia. I did not have prior booking of a crossing nor did I know the ferry timing. When I reached the terminal gate a bit after 1.30 pm the lady told me that the next crossing would be three hours later. I took a ticket and waited the rest of the time in the designated queue and worked on some pending documentation. Time did go by fast. Before the boarding was announced I went to the cafeteria for a cup of coffee. The crossing took just over 75 minutes. As usual, it was an efficient crossing.

The drive from Caribou Island to the North Sydney ferry terminal was nearly 280 km. I had to complete the last leg of that drive in heavy mist and failing light and it was a challenge as I am loathe to drive after dusk. I was indeed very fortunate not to come across any animals on the road. Even in thick mist with near zero visibility the speed was maintained at 100 kph!

I had a booking for the 11.45 pm ferry from North Sydney ferry landing in Nova Scotia to Channel-Port aux Basques in Newfoundland. When I reached the terminal a bit after 9 pm the ferry boarding had already started. The large ferry took in more than 300 vehicles into its cavernous belly before setting sail for my tenth province, Newfoundland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 7 - Taipei to Mumbai via Hong Kong – 30 March 2024

Keeping in mind that the Easter weekend could see massive footfalls at the airport I checked out of the hotel by 6 am, foregoing the paid-fo...