Saturday, February 10, 2024

1 January 2024 – Day 10 – Mahebourg to India

It was time to head back to India after nine glorious days in Mauritius. Ecozy Studio in Ville Noire was the perfect lodging for the stay in Mahebourg, the perfect finale, an exceptional place to stay. I thanked the host for the excellent accommodation and took guidance from him to drop off the keys. The Swift had taken me all over the island, to wherever I wanted to go; logged more than 600 km in a country where we travelled to the four extreme corners of the island; a country where north to south is less than 65 km and east to west 45 km. It was also time to take leave of her too.

When I took over the rental car I had four bars on the fuel meter; I had to return the car with the same amount of fuel in the tank. Last evening I had fuelled up and hoped that the display would not show any less than what was required for handing over. Anyway, it was under 10 km to the SSR airport.

I reached the airport grounds and took the toll ticket to get into the complex. Thereafter, the lot where I had to take the car to was well sign posted. I had to wait a bit while the company executive was handing over a car to one of the just arrived passengers. When my turn came, the handing over was completely hassle free because I had taken the full cover. Though a bit costly, I opt always for the full cover option because it sets at rest all the devils in your mind.

At the check-in counter the pretty counter attendant asked me if I would like a window seat for the Mauritius-Mumbai leg of my journey. I plumped for it and I thank the young lady for the exchange. I had such glorious views of the Ocean, the reef barriers and the turquoise waters that it completed the Mauritius vacation in grand style, so to say. When I was on the Vistara flight to Mumbai I asked myself as to how I would define Mauritius. These elements made up the definition of the country for me.

1. Awesome coast and great white sandy beaches – go where you want you in the island and you will find an awesome coastline, crystal clear and calm waters lapping white sandy beaches, and miles and miles of casuarina and palm trees.

2. Excellent road infrastructure – save a few village roads the road infrastructure is more than adequate. Differential speeds mark different types of roads – the freeways are open for 110 kph. Speed restrictions are warned well in advance and mobile and stationary traffic cameras keep the drivers on leash. The disciplined driving and absence of honking is at times attributed to good infrastructure and sensible policing.

3. Good traffic police – they do an exceptional job in busy towns like Port Louis. When traffic snarls happen you can be sure to find a few of them landing up to sort matters out.


4. Giant tortoises and extinct Dodo – while the former are still seen on the island the latter was feasted away to extinction by the Dutch, it is told. Being flightless the Dodo was easy meat for the settlers and their size gave them away easily too.

5. Volcanic and basalt rocks – the island is founded, in a manner of speaking, on volcanic and basalt rocks. The land is fertile due and found suitable for farming from very early time. Thick green vegetation can be seen all over the island. The rocks proudly face the Ocean and take a pounding where the reefs are absent.

6. Sugarcane – If any one word can describe Mauritius it is sugarcane. From the early 17th century, starting with the Dutch, who introduced sugarcane from Java, Indonesia to the present times through the colonisation of the France and Britain, sugarcane has remained the raison d’etre of Mauritius. Sugarcane was responsible for the ‘Mauritian Miracle’ pist Independence in 1968.

7. Polite people – people make the place and the country. In this part of the African Continent the people are polite and helpful. The fun loving people can be rarely seen arguing or fighting. They are not intrusive and leave visitors to enjoy the sojourn in peace.

8. No jay walking – this is almost totally absent in the country; at least I did not come across this during my stay in the country. They respect traffic lights and pedestrian zebra lines. Vehicles make sure that pedestrians are given their due share of the road and respect their privileges. 

9. Chinese and Indian influenced food – given the influences on the population of the country – those of traders and indentured labour – it is only to be expected that the cuisine of the country is heavily influenced by Chinese and Indian cuisines. The fusion food is adapted in such a manner as to leave a local mark on the dish.

10. Superb softies – the homemade softy ice-creams are some of the softest I have had anywhere in the world. 

There is so much more to ponder and dwell on, but it was time to land in Mumbai, from where I was to catch a connecting flight to Ahmedabad. Thus ended a most enjoyable vacation. It is said that Mauritius was fashioned out of the handbook of the Gods; it’s true, I experienced it. Mauritius tourism is an alluring blend of heritage, culture and nature, with a drizzling of tradition on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 7 - Taipei to Mumbai via Hong Kong – 30 March 2024

Keeping in mind that the Easter weekend could see massive footfalls at the airport I checked out of the hotel by 6 am, foregoing the paid-fo...