Monday, March 19, 2018

6 March 2018 - Day 3 - In Melbourne


I barely managed three hours of sleep. Light fever and throat pain kept me tossing and turning the whole night. Finally I went down to the kitchen and made myself a hot cup of coffee and continued charging the devices I needed for the days’ tour. I made a couple of sandwiches from the stuff I had in the car, which was safely parked in the paid car park beside the hostel. I swallowed a couple of tablets hoping that the fever and throat pain would go away. My voice had become so feeble that I could barely make myself audible.

Even though the situation did not improve much by 8 am I started on the walking tour of the city. The arresting sight of the spire of the Arts centre on St Kilda Road had caught my fancy last night. The centre has an array of venues and is the focal point of cultural performances in the city. The National Gallery of Victoria is the oldest and largest art museum in Australia. The waterfall facade and the fountains use rainwater collected in the gutters as run off from the roof through a system of underground tanks and moats. The next destination was the Shrine of Remembrance.

The war memorial was built to honour those who served in WWI, but later became one that honoured all Australians who served in war all over the world. The largest war memorial in Australia, it was designed by two world war veterans. Mac Ford, an elderly volunteer explained the features of the memorial and the friezes within. The central portion of the enclosure contains the marble Stone of Remembrance on which is inscribed “Greater Love Hath No Man”, When the clock was to strike the 11th hour he told all of us to stand to attention for the bugle, during when a ray of light passed across the inscription and lingered awhile over the word Love. It was a very poignant moment and a reminder to those who had laid down their lives for the country that they will never be forgotten. The views from the balcony of the building gives stunning views of the city.

As I was exiting the shrine I asked one of the volunteers, a tall handsome man, for directions to walk to the Rod Laver Arena. He asked me to follow a gravel path – wondering why Australians refer to gravel paths as Tan path and refuse to acknowledge the gravel! - around the park within the premises. It was a rather long walk, but when I reached it the gentleman at the gate told me that the Arena is closed for the past five days to get it ready for a concert. This is something amazing in this country. Most venues are multi-functional. That gets the management revenue through the year. However, just standing below the bronze figure of arguably the greatest tennis player ever, The Rockhampton Rocket, was itself a goosebumps raising moment. Next to that is the Margaret Court Arena, another set of courts in honour of one of the greatest woman tennis players of all time.

Linking the Arenas to the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) is an aesthetically roofed walkway, to the left of which are the outer courts. Some of them were in use. The MCG is awe inspiring in size and facilities. The ground hosted the first ever test match in 1877 between Australia and England and also the first ever ODI, between the same two countries, in 1971. The venue itself was built in 1853 and has been in a constant state of renewal. It was the centrepiece stadium during the 1956 Melbourne Olympics and the Commonwealth Games in 2006, as well as Cricket World Cups of 1992 and 2015. The stadium has strong bonds with Australian Rules Football, International football matches and rugby. The stadium is busy right round the year, thus. The conducted tour of the MCG, which happens every 15 minutes, costs AUD 24 but is worth every cent. The tour of players facilities, commentary and members’ boxes, library, blazer room, long room, and of course, the ground itself was an unforgettable experience.

From the MCG I walked along the Northbank of the Yarra River to reach the St Paul’s Cathedral. The Anglican church is the seat of the Archbishop of Melbourne. The Cathedral spires are a major architectural landmark of the city. The gothic structure was completed in 1891. I requested for a worship visit and spent many minutes in prayer despite the church brimming with tourists and photographers. Inside the church I met Rajan, a Sri Lankan of Indian parentage, who described the tales of his visits to India and what I should look out for in Tasmania, my next destination. In immediate proximity to the Cathedral is the Federation Square, a venue built for events, art and culture in the centre of the CBD. Ruchit had told me last evening that Bollywood stars are a major attraction in the city and they perform in the Federation Square. The Flinders Street railway station is a cultural icon of Melbourne and is the busiest railway station in Australia with over a 100,000 passengers daily. A row of clocks at the main entrance of the station gave rise to the popular Melburnian saying, “I’ll meet you under the clocks”.
When I was done with the walk George called to say that he would be at the hostel in a half hour. He had planned a drive to Queenscliff, a ferry crossing to Sorento and the drive to Arthurs seat. The suburbs of Australia are amazing, so calm and quiet. Natural beauty abounds in this and and the air adds substance to one’s life. Queenscliff almost at the entrance to Port Phillip. The town was a popular seaside resort in the early part of the last century. In times past, the area was an aboriginal settlement. Tourism and fishing are the mainstays now. Unfortunate for us, the last ferry for the day had departed at 6 pm. Though immensely disappointed we spent some lovely time in the lookout point soaking in the setting sun.
By the time we were ready to leave from Queenscliff I was running temperature and the throat had become very sore. I needed medication. George took me to a Coles outlet from where I got lozenges, Panadol and Cough & Cold tablets. I planned to leave the next morning at 4.30 am to park the car at the airport and fly to Launceston. Most importantly, I needed rest, a lot of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 7 - Taipei to Mumbai via Hong Kong – 30 March 2024

Keeping in mind that the Easter weekend could see massive footfalls at the airport I checked out of the hotel by 6 am, foregoing the paid-fo...