Sunday, March 25, 2018

22 March 2018 - Day 19 - Port Hedland to Broome


I was loathe to get up in the morning; wanting to enjoy another walk on the beach and a leisurely breakfast. But, the army-like drill put paid to such idle ambitions. I was up at 5.30 am and got busy with posting blog for an hour, by which time it had become nice and sunny. It was just over 600 km to Broome. If the average speeds of the previous days were to be considered the destination for the day was just seven hours away. After a cup of coffee and washing the used plates and spoons I luxuriated in a shower for nearly a quarter of an hour and felt absolutely fresh.

By 7 am I was out of the cabin after loading all the luggage I had taken out last evening. The exit out of Port Hedland to NR1 was done in about 15 minutes. On the way are massive salt pans belonging to Rio Tinto with stackers and reclaimers doing their jobs in the stock yard. On the way was a railway yard where three massive trains were in readiness to leave. Australia is the pioneer in heavy haul trains that hauled over 25,000 tonnes in one train. The trains seemed to be loaded with iron ore and many Road Trains were seen plying ore, ostensibly to load the trains. I had to stop at a railway crossing to let a freight train pass. It seemed to go on and on. The railway crossings are, by themselves, a marvel when compared to what we have in India. There are no road humps or speed restrictions. The warning to the road user is 'prepare to stop when the red lights are flashing'. Even the barrier is a half barrier that covers only one’s side of the road.

Sandfire, I noticed, was about 290 km from Port Hedland, which would serve as the ideal point to break the journey and tank up. About a half out of Port Hedland a pilot vehicle instructed me to stay clear of the road on the left side to permit an oversized vehicle to pass. While I got off the road and stopped, the car ahead of me was not clear off the road. The vehicle carrying the oversized cargo was traveling at over 90 kph and almost ripped the car off the road. Just in time the driver acted to take his car off the road. It was a close shave. Once the clearance was given I got off briskly and overtook the car in front of me. While I had set cruise control for 110 kph, the section speed, the guy behind me was trying all he could to overtake me. His car just did not have the juice to take on the Outlander. And he was being reckless, driving on the wrong side of the road too. He seemed to trail me till we reached the Pardoo Roadhouse; it was a bit nervy as the roads were deserted and there was hardly any traffic at all on the road.

At Sandfire, after fueling and taking care of biological requirements, I set sights for Broome. I targeted to reach the Kimberley Travelers’ Lodge (KTL) by 1.30 pm. However, just out of the fuel station large sections of the road were covered in water and speed restrictions were in force. I wondered if the road would be closed if it rained. A feature of the drive from Perth had been the constant patrolling of roads by Rangers on the lookout for flooding points and forest fires. The devastating effect of forest fires, maybe recently, was there as evidence along the way.

My eyes felt very heavy and I stopped at one of the parking stations nearly 80 km short of Broome and took a power nap. With that I reached the KTL by 2 pm. the very friendly staff at the reception readily agreed to upgrade my booking to a private room with shared facilities. They recommended a visit to the Cable Beach and the Gantheaume Point. I skipped the Beach and made haste to the Gantheaume Point with the intention of viewing the sunset from there. The beautiful red stone formations in the backdrop of the pristine waters of the Indian Ocean was indeed a marvel to behold. It is said that at low tide footprints of dinosaurs that roamed these parts of the world 130 million years ago can be seen. Another interesting sight is the ruins of Anastasia’s Pool that was ravaged in a recent cyclone. The Pool was built by the lighthouse keeper for his wife who suffered from arthritis! The Bingle Bingles rock formations are truly amazing. The interplay of water at high velocity and the rocks is a marvel that only nature can create.

After coming back I requested Mark, the owner of the Lodge, to guide me on the route from Daly Waters to Cairns. He asked me to get back in half hour so that he could get his Atlas out from the cupboard. When I went back to him after a bath – it had been hot and sticky all through the day – he was ready with the information. He asked me to take the Three Ways to Camooweal road on the first day, as the Savannah Road was closed. The second day, he said, could be either Camooweal to Normanton or Camooweal to Mackay. I opted for the former as I would be coming down the Gold Coast en route to Brisbane later, anyway. Mark only wanted me to ensure that there is enough fuel at Cloncurry. With all that information I now have to only pray for good weather till I get out of Northern Territory.


When Mark was pouring over the Atlas another guest dropped by and asked where I am traveling to. To this Mark said, “Ask where he is not going to”. That was indeed high praise from an adventure tour operator. As discussions were winding up Mark asked if I had had dinner. When I said that I would be making it shortly he invited me to share the food he had made for some of his guests. He has a company that does adventure tours between Broome and Perth. The number of guests who arrived on the tour this day fell far short of expectations. There was leafy vegetables, salad, boiled potatoes, chicken roast and bread. The food was, indeed, very nourishing. After thanking Mark profusely for the unexpected bonanza I repaired to bed early with the intention of an early start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 7 - Taipei to Mumbai via Hong Kong – 30 March 2024

Keeping in mind that the Easter weekend could see massive footfalls at the airport I checked out of the hotel by 6 am, foregoing the paid-fo...