Sleep completely deserted me despite the best efforts to at least catch forty winks. The thought of having to take the 3 am bus, for which I had to leave the apartment at 2.30 am kept playing over and over in my mind. Just after midnight I gave up any pretence of even trying to sleep. I showered, completed the packing and left the apartment at quarter past 1 am. I wasn't sure if the streets would be safe at that hour. I needn't have worried because most of my transit from the apartment to the bus stop was through the Skanderbeg Square. It took me just 10 minutes to the bus stop. Youngsters were seen moving about after a hectic night out. Some were obviously quite drunk.I saw a guy trying to do his version of the pole dance on a lamp post. Some laughed so loud that I felt the tremors. However, nothing was out of hand. Police presence was extremely visible. Their whistles and the occasional warning from patrol vehicles kept matters under control. In one place I found a driver being questioned, possibly due to negligent driving.
When
I got to the Tirana airport the Wiss Air counter was open. The check-in was
smooth and so were the immigration and security formalities. The duty-free area
is under renovation. I found the prices of liquor quite reasonable. I had over
three hours for the gate to open. I took a comfortable seat in front of a cafe.
With business not heavy at that hour, I was not disturbed from my perch.
The flight to Athens took off on time and within an hour I was facing a massive immigration queue. Fortunately, the queue moved fast enough for me to collect my suitcase within 30 minutes. I exited the airport, bought a cup of cappuccino and sat in an enclosure near it to kill time.I had almost five hours for the next flight from Athens to Mumbai. I recollected the tense moments four days back when I discovered that my ticket from Athens to Tirana was booked for the wrong day. Anyway, everything since then had planned out fine and the trip to the Balkan States was coming to an end.
During the course of the flight I requested for a blanket and I was told that I have to buy one! When I expressed my displeasure, the staff was kind enough to adjust the temperature. Credit where it is due; the staff returned a while later to check if I was feeling more comfortable.
The immigration was quick in Mumbai and I passed through the duty-free glancing at deals for liquor. I was not sure if it was within rules to purchase liquor in the Mumbai duty free and carry it on a domestic flight to Ahmedabad. For sure, I could purchase liquor in the Ahmedabad duty free if I landed there by an international flight.
I took the domestic transfer exit at the airport and deposited my suitcase at the Indigo transfer desk for onward transfer to Ahmedabad. Thereafter, I went through the mandatory security check and waited in the food court area for an hour before going to the gate for the flight. During the wait, I had a feast of masala dosa, idli and vada with a strong cup of filter coffee. Wah, the taste of food from one's own country is something I delightfully savoured.
The flight to Ahmedabad took off ahead of schedule and landed at the destination nearly 30 minutes before the scheduled arrival time. Thus ended my visits to the 72nd and 73rd countries. In less than three weeks I expect to be back in Ahmedabad airport for another leg of the Balkan tour to Bulgaria and North Macedonia.















No comments:
Post a Comment