Sunday, April 1, 2018

31 March 2018 - Day 28 - Townsville to Cairns



Sometimes it beats me why even a comfortable bed does not help me to sleep a little while longer. A twisted body clock, maybe. As is now becoming a routine, I woke up a couple of quarters after three in the morning and I set about doing what I do at that hour. Write the blog. The coffee was just the right tonic to make the senses active.  As the blog went on the cups of coffee went on too. Once that was done I lay down hoping that I could sleep some more. But no, the mind just wouldn’t acquiesce.
  

After quickly gulping down a couple of croissants with strawberry jam I was at the reception to deposit the key and get on my way. Since I had enough time on my hands I thought of visiting The Strand yet again in the morning and I found that the place had been completely transformed. The entire place was full of people. I found it a bit difficult to find parking space. A remarkable thing I have observed in Australia is that the facilities meant for people with disabilities are never abused or misused, be it the parking lot or the toilet. The Strand gave off an air of gaiety – it was getting ready to co-host the Commonwealth Games between 5 – 12 April. There were teams, presumably from an event management company, in charge of all the arrangements. The Park has been closed for more than a month and a brightly colored fencing has been put around the proposed arena with plenty of multi-colored containers within the fenced off areas. Even then people - young, old and the in-betweens - were there cycling, walking, jogging, swimming, fishing or merely sitting around admiring the magnificent views of the Port, the Magnetic Island and the sunrise. The users of the facilities use them responsibly and hence, they are more easily maintained. Moreover, the liberal provision of bins to dispose of garbage, whether it be a park, street or highway, makes people even more aware of their civic responsibility. Even the BBQ facilities provided in parks and open spaces are never dirty – people who use them clean up after use and make sure that the next one who uses it will not have to clean up their mess.

It was but natural that there would be a lot of speed restrictions between Townsville and Cairns as the Bruce Highway/A1 had been affected quite badly by the recent floods. In fact, I found that the most affected had been the Townsville to Ingham section of about 120 km. However, the entire drive from Townsville to Cairns was eye-catching – miles and miles of greenery with hills draped in virile green fineries and sugarcane plantations, banana and mango farms, watermelon and papaya cultivation. The weather conditions are typically tropical with large leafy trees and plants, orchids and bright colored flowers wherever you turn. I got the feeling of travelling through the South East Asian countries, particularly Malaysia and Thailand. What really turned my head was the absolutely marvelous waterfront town of Cardwell. I could only drive through this time but I have marked it for a short halt on the way back, when I head to Mackay tomorrow.

I had booked, cancelled and rebooked accommodation at the Caravella Backpakers because of the situation I had faced in Normanton. I had spoken to the receptionist at the accommodation and had been told that I had no option but to cancel the booking free, which I did. When the plan to visit Cairns was finalized the day before I rebooked a private room with shared bath. When I drove to the place marked by Google Maps I was awed by the location – bang on the waterfront esplanade. Just a road separated the accommodation and the waterfront; breathtaking. The girl at the reception took her time to check me in, explain the available facilities to me and give me a brief of what I could do in the evening. But, as at that time, it was hot and humid and I thought of catching up on my nap after lunch. The communal kitchen was already getting busy with young boys and girls in various stages of serious cooking. I didn’t find anyone cooking anything similar to Ramen noodles! Some of them were cutting, chopping and sautéing vegetables in olive oil and making salads. The Asian backpackers were making gooey things that smelt, well Asian!

The Esplanade is a happening place and the Park is so well equipped that residents naturally gravitate there. A section of the Park was meant for kids and people who accompany them – an interactive park for kids. I haven’t seen this kind of stuff before; must say that it is incredibly innovative and great fun for the young ones. The laughter and camaraderie amongst kids there said it all. There was another section for those keen on body-building, a kind of free gym with instructions about how to use each of the equipment. A section of the park has a memorial for the soldiers martyred in wars and another commemorating the part played by Cairns in hosting the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games. A couple of areas had large barbeque centres and in one a massive birthday party was being held for a giggling young one. The trees were all decked up and the birthday gift, a bicycle, was unwrapped and displayed. The most interesting part of the park is the beach and pool. An artificial pool has been created in the park with proper beach atmosphere – sand, lifeguards, beach umbrellas, et al. What a magnificent way of entertaining the citizens. At first, when you hear about the tax rates in Australia you get a bit stunned. But, when the facilities that are available to the citizen is juxtaposed there is pretty little to complain. Money is not wasted in the effort to govern, as it is in India. Every cent spent in administering the State or the Council has to be accounted for to the satisfaction of the citizen.


I enjoyed a leisurely walk on the boardwalk of the Esplanade up to the Marina, enjoying the sights and taking in the beautiful views of the waterfront. At intermittent locations there are lookout points from where the waterfront can be admired. It was low tide at the time and many kids were down on the bed looking for crabs! All along the boardwalk and the park there are toilets and places for people to relax. The Marina is where tours to the Great Barrier Reef and other lovely sightseeing locations take off from. The Helipad is also near the Marina. Services were suspended because it had started raining and was way too windy for safe operations. Agents were soliciting customers for sunset cruise – I found no merit in that because it was overcast and there was hardly a sight of the sun that would set in glory.

I made my way through the many cafes and restaurants that had become busy on Easter eve. The cuisines gave off various smells – Indian cuisine seemed popular and I spotted at least five Indian restaurants during my three hour walk. There were quite a few street artists too. The most fascinating one was a young boy playing the traditional Didgeridoo wind instrument. The melody was truly haunting. The Night Market and Food Court had swarms of people in them looking for traditional items to be taken home as gifts or great food deals. I was bewitched by the store that sold magnetic wiggle creatures made of pistachio nuts – amazing, to say the least. A food store advertised a ‘take all you can’ deal. The enormous portions of seafood that people took in their plates took my appetite away. The Bolands Centre at the intersection of Spence and Lake Streets is an iconic building which housed a boutique departmental store between 1913 and 1963. The Rusty’s market is a must visit in Cairns with fresh food and bargains. I looked for a Woolworths and got there. The intention was to find some good liquor deal, being Easter eve! I found a 10 can pack of the Canadian Club and my day was done. When I was picking up some hot cross buns I heard some chatter in Malayalam. I went to the couple and introduced myself. They had come on Easter holiday from Brisbane.



I had to drag my feet to get back to the accommodation. My feet had to be rested and the thirst quenched. I did both in the common area of the Backpackers and found interesting young men and women there – two 29 year old women from Germany on a nine-month tour of the world, a 30 year old Belgian guy scouting for talent he would be shortly hosting, many Asians on a whirlwind tour of Australia, etc. It is indeed a very homely place and I would recommend it to anyone on budget travel. For me, it was Canadian Club and Turkey Spam before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 7 - Taipei to Mumbai via Hong Kong – 30 March 2024

Keeping in mind that the Easter weekend could see massive footfalls at the airport I checked out of the hotel by 6 am, foregoing the paid-fo...