Friday, July 2, 2021

Distant Valleys Beckon - A Prelude

The Corona virus pandemic has laid us low for over 15 months, with lives disrupted, lost and in disarray. With lives and jobs having been lost in millions it is still unclear as to whether our lives will ever come back to normal any time in the near future. While there is something to cheer on the second wave, warnings are ringing loud and clear about the impending third wave! We are now being warned about a Delta variant of the corona virus. Some countries are experiencing a fourth wave. The silver lining in all this is the accelerated pace of vaccination in our country. Complete and full coverage of the country’s population seems the only solution to combat the vexatious and life consuming problem of the virus.

The ill effects of the economic devastation that the pandemic has left in its wake is amply clear in the manner in which many European countries are opening their borders to tourism, which is the mainstay in many of them. The loss of earnings from travel restrictions during this summer will break the back of most countries. Disposable incomes have shrunk and State support cannot anymore be taken for granted. Therefore, there has been a cautious reopening of businesses related to travel. What the effect of that will be can only be fathomed in a few months from now. In India too, easing of travel restrictions have seen a rush of tourists to hill stations and snow bound locations. I feel that people are rushing out of their homes as they consider travel to be a form of therapy. Having been cooped up in their homes and facing uncertain times many of us have been on edge. Travel provides the right outlet to calm the nerves and help to put our thoughts straight.

I too have decided to go on a road journey to distant Himachal Pradesh. I have always considered travel as an investment to broaden my horizon and enlarge my vision. Travelling to places one has not been to, meeting people who are different from you, seeing places that make you marvel at God’s power, savouring foods that fancy the pallet, listen to stories that make your jaws drop, admire the resilience of homo sapiens are some of the things that I constantly look forward to. I wish to be on the move all the time. The more I travel the more I wish to travel; the more I see the more I want to see In fact, an overarching dream is to convert a large vehicle into a moving home and keep travelling, working and living in it for the rest of my life. If only wishes were horses, I would do this. Living your dreams is the biggest adventure of them all, I guess.

This drive to Himachal Pradesh is primarily to explore and experience Kinnaur and Spiti Valleys; I haven’t been to the latter despite travelling in and through the State many times over the past 12 years. The route is Chennai-Chandigarh-Rekong Peo-Kaza-Manali and back. There are so many amazing places to see in the loop that I have made a departure from the norm. The tour in Himachal is going to be open-ended. The plan shall evolve as I travel. If I find a place worthy of a detailed exploration I will spend more time there and possibly even halt. I am carrying a tent, sleeping bag and adequate warm clothing. I hear that mobile connectivity is a challenge in many parts of the region. The idea is to get out of my comfort zone and experience the vastness of life.

7 comments:

  1. Hello sir
    When will you be travelling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suresh sir... The adventurer in you will not rest and this is a tribute to the explorers ..your indomitable spirit to drive and reach distant places is a motivation to mere mortals like me..wishing you all success and good health. We pray for a safe journey...see you around in Kochi soon... Cheers!! Prakash Nair

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Day 7 - Taipei to Mumbai via Hong Kong – 30 March 2024

Keeping in mind that the Easter weekend could see massive footfalls at the airport I checked out of the hotel by 6 am, foregoing the paid-fo...