Monday, May 13, 2019

3 May 2019 - Another day in Vancouver


Yesterday it had been quite cold in Vancouver for a man from Chennai. Particularly on the visit to Grouse Mountain. I wasn’t prepared for snow on the mountain top. Even though I had woolens in the car I didn’t have it on me. My aunt seemed to sense that I wasn’t properly togged for the cold weather I was likely to encounter in the east. She opened out her cupboards and hand over a couple of very warm coats which I could use on the drive. Such is the concern and care of family.


I had heard so much about Stanley Park that I decided to go there when the legs were fresh. My aunt had told me that my cousin form UK and his wife used to hire cycles at the Park and go around to the many attractions in the Park. The salubrious environment surely was excellent for such activity. I was completely overawed by the Stanley Park when I reached there. The Park covered over 1000 acres and is reportedly a natural formation enriched by the skyline of downtown Vancouver, English Bay and the Vancouver harbour. It is thickly forested, despite the untamed logging that had happened in the past, the work of nature over many hundreds of years. The Park has many forest trails to trek and explore, walking paths, beaches, lakes, children play areas, picnic places, biking paths and is home to the famous Vancouver Aquarium. Some of the over half a million trees within the park are over 100 years old and stand tall over 200 feet. The Hollow Tree, a red cedar tree stump, is reputed to be more than 1000 years old. The remnants of the tree was restored and moved to its present location by Hollow Tree aficionados in 2011, where it is a darling with visitors.
The English Bay looks glorious from the Park and popular beaches for sunbathing, swimming and sunset watching front it such as the English Bay Beach, First Beach, Third Beach, Kitsilano Beach, et al. Kitsilano Beach has the longest swimming pool in all of Canada, the salt water outdoor Kitsilano Pool. The Vancouver Seawall is popular with walkers, runners, cyclists and rollerbladers.



The Granville Island was an industrial production area prior to the Wars. Post it the area fell upon hard times and was 're-engineered' in the final decades of the 20th century. Today it is a vibrant tourist centre with brightly painted shops, a busy Public Market, gourmet shopping experience, an extensive marina and the overarching presence of the Granville Street Bridge. The Public Market has a farmers' market where permanent and day vendors retail food, fresh fruits and vegetables, local crafts. An experience not to be missed while in Vancouver, it stays on in your mind for long. Aquabus provides commuter and sightseeing services off the jetties in Granville Island.
Once I returned to my aunt’s home it was decided that we would go to a Greek restaurant for dinner. However, before that I asked her to take me to the Cobs bakery from where she used to pick up delectable bakery products. I knew I could use some for my trip. When I got to the bakery I found it difficult to choose what I didn’t want! Such was the fare and the smells that arose within the store kept me wandering from display to display till I selected more than what I actually had gone there for. Then on to the Galini Greek Kouzina and Grill restaurant. My Aunt, Dr. Teresa George, a most gracious host, said that the food there was awesome. Once I had feasted I knew that what she had said was an understatement. We ordered the George's platter for two which had an assortment of lamb, chicken, rice, Greek salad, pita, spanacopita and some more! To top it all, there was a bowl of chicken soup, served on the house. A couple of pegs of Captain Morgan's spiced rum with coke helped wash down the heavy meal. The meal was so tasty that I couldn’t bear to leave what I had to because of the enormous portion. My aunt told me that the secret to eating large portions is to sip on a glass of red wine and eat slowly. Surely, a lesson well taken for the future

2 comments:

  1. Vancouver is indeed a very beautiful city. As actually is all of Canada. You are in for a wonderful time. We are salivating in anticipation of all your posts.

    And yes, you are an incorrigible foodie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice information. Thanks for sharing content and such nice information for me. I hope you will share some more content about. Please keep sharing!. manali tour package from chennai

    ReplyDelete

Day 7 - Taipei to Mumbai via Hong Kong – 30 March 2024

Keeping in mind that the Easter weekend could see massive footfalls at the airport I checked out of the hotel by 6 am, foregoing the paid-fo...