Monday, July 3, 2017

Day 17 - Bangalore to Kanyakumari to Chennai - 12 June 2017

When I started from Keys Hotel, Bangalore at 4 am the destination I had in mind for the day was the fourth corner, Kanyakumari. ORH had been booked in Kanyakumari for the next day and I had to get that advanced by a day. Ashok Kumar, Sr. Divisional Operations Manager of Trivandrum Division came to my rescue. He also arranged for the Station Manager of Kanyakumari railway station to be on standby to attest the log sheet. It was exactly 650 km from the hotel in Bangalore to the railway station in Kanyakumari. Much beyond expectations was covering this part of the journey in 7 hours. When I reached the railway station and got the log sheet attested by the Station Manager just after 11 am, technically all four corners had been covered. But, the Record Drive will be complete only upon reaching Chennai, as the expedition started from there.


If I were to halt in Kanyakumari I had a lot of time to kill in the day. after occupying the ORH I went for a drive to the Gandhi Mandapam at the land’s end to enjoy the beach and the lovely views across the sea. The Vivekananda Rock looked majestic and tourists seemed to have swarmed her despite the not so calm sea. When I visited Kanyakumari on excursion from school I remember having marveled at the three colors of sand one could gather from the beach. All that is past and kids today can’t do that today; the beach itself is an apology.

On the way back to the ORH I had a masala dosa for lunch. Before dozing off to sleep in the ORH I decided to drive to Chennai and complete the expedition this day itself instead of ‘wasting time’ in Kanyakumari. The two hour rest gave me the appropriate fuel to make a dash for the finishing point. At 2.45 pm I signed out of the ORH and left for Chennai – the final part of the FCoI.

I lived a dream during the day with the Champion. She felt so light behind the wheel that it seemed to me that she was raring to be back home. There were many moments of anxiety during the day but, together, we braved them and got to Chennai to complete the tough expedition. It was her show. The second leg of the day from Kanyakumari to Chennai was 685 km in 8 hours and 45 minutes. Reached the end of the expedition at the House of Hiranandani, Chennai at 2330 hours. It was 1334 km in 15 hours and 45 minutes today.


The previous record for solo FCoI of 26 days, 22 hours and 15 minutes (647 hours and 15 minutes) was bettered quite handsomely. 13214 km was done in 16 days and 19 hours (403 hours) to complete the FCoI expedition, thereby shaving almost 40 percent off the existing record. Most definitely, the documents have to be verified and the record certified by Limca Book of Records. When I got back to my apartment, despite the late hour I decided to make up for the nearly three weeks of 'parched' existence with a double shot of Beluga vodka!
FCoI in summary: 13214 kms in 403 hours at 777 kms per day and overall average speed of 57.5 kmph. Total driving hours 299 hours and 15 minutes, which was 57 percent of the start to finish time. Consumed 1000 ltrs of diesel at an average cost of Rs. 59.4 per litre, fuel efficiency per litre was 13.5 km. Travelled through 17 states in 17 days to break the existing record of 647 hours and 15 minutes.

Distance, time taken and average speed for the four corners were as below:
Kanyakumari to Tezu (first corner) – 4108 km, 66 hr 10 mt, 62 kmph
Tezu to Leh (second corner) – 3796 km, 73 hr 20 mt, 52 kmph
Leh to Koteshwar (third corner) – 2624 km, 50 hr 20 mt, 52 kmph
Koteshwar to Kanyakumari (fourth corner) – 2686 km, 39 hr 50 mt, 67 kmph



My heartfelt thanks go out to each one of you who supported, encouraged and egged me on during this tough expedition; it would be unfair to take names because I am certain to leave out many, for that was the kind of all-round assistance, prayers and motivation I received. 

14 comments:

  1. I am amazed by your Great spirit of Travel...The narrations are readable, plain, inspiring and informative to those who are in the similar spirit and passion. I will read all your blogs one by one taking time. God bless you with good health and resources for many more years to explore this beautiful and wonderful world created by Him....
    I too travel in my own way...but you inspired me by your excellent and careful writings of the experiences systematically in your blog. Thanks a lot sir..
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris apologies for the late response. Thanks a lot for the appreciation and motivation.

      Delete
  2. interesting blog and experience about the trip, and travelling alone is one such experience. Thanks for sharing.

    Madurai Online Cab Booking

    ReplyDelete
  3. I happened to come across an article about you in THE HINDU --newspaper a couple of days back and got interested in reading about your experience of travels all over . It is really amazing to note your passion for travel . I intend reading your blogs over a period of time and would love to comment whenever I feel like. I do not travel as much as I wish really--but love to read travelogues whoever writes them and I have been reading them right from my young age almost 60 years back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nathan, it's well-wishers like you who make me write about my travels. Thanks for the kind words

      Delete
  4. This is amazing tour experience the Bangalore to Kanyakumari to get sharing the personal traveling in Private Taj Mahal Tour. Book Now - One Day Trip to Agra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to Hindu article.. Hats off to your spirit Railwayman(with respect) .. :)
    Happy travelling sir..
    I wish I too write such blog/travelogues one day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice post of "Day 17 - Bangalore to Kanyakumari to Chennai - 12 June 2017"

    NIOS Admission 2018
    NIOS on Demand Exam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome work ! I am planning to travel but I was confused about flight bookings, your post gave me an amazing idea to explore for Bangalore to Chennai Flight . Nice post, keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice & good looking posts,Thank you for sharing. For best astrology services contact us Vashikaran Astrologer in Bharathi Nagar

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple and effective. Your writing style makes the content enjoyable to read. Looking forward to more from your blog!
    Flights Chennai to Bangalore

    ReplyDelete

22 December 2023 – A Year-end Vacation - A Decision To Make

The year end is a time when most corporate businesses find empty office cabins and seats. The Yuletide Season is when leaves that are due to...